Saturday, March 31, 2007

Japan

I have just arrived back from my trip to Japan. It was really nice. I learned a few things, made some interesting new connections, had a good time with my coworker Allain who came along on the trip, and most importantly got a taste of life and culture in Tokyo.

Japan is a notably service-oriented culture, and quite well ordered. I guess some find it to be an oppressive and overly homogeneous country as well, and there is always a balance to be sought between good order and liberty. In any case, I certainly appreciated being taken care of and helped with such efficiency and courtesy so often.

Japan has come such a long way in a relatively short time, development-wise. We gave them a modified version of our own constitution after WWII, and at this point they're probably following theirs better than we're following our own. The engine of capitalism has been unleashed there without the obscene drains of military and jail spending that we have in the USA. (Their military spending is capped at 1% of GNP by constitutional law, and the crime rate there is much lower.) Japan has had other inefficiencies, but I think they're mild compared to the waste that happens here.

I had 4 seats on the plane on the way back... That's better than flying first class.

I'm back in my office now... lots to do. Check back here in a couple of days for a major business acquisition announcement.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?